If you’ve visited the Working Bikes warehouse during the summer then you’ve probably seen the high rows of bikes that fill our shipping dock at the back of the building. When visitors enter the dock for the first time it’s not unusual to hear laughter and a mumbled “woah” at the sight of hundreds of bikes in towering stacks. But as sprawling as the bike-piles seem, they ebb and flow, come and go with each new bike drive or shipping party.
Since 1999 over 45,000 bikes have cycled through from donors, to Working Bikes, to our international partner organizations. Many were shipped from our current warehouse and many others from our past homes throughout Chicago—a six-flat near Loomis and Cullerton, a couple storage containers in a lot at Elston and Augusta, and donated warehouse space first at Fulton and Kedzie, then at Elston and Wabansia. Over the years these shipments have gone to more than 20 countries across Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean, bringing the life-changing power of the bicycle to tens of thousands of deserving individuals and communities.
By the end of this year we hope to give our 50,000th bike. With 9 shipments and 4,447 bikes donated in Ghana, El Salvador, Lesotho, and Panama so far in 2014, our goal is in sight. But we need your help to fill up our dock again!
If you have bikes that you no longer use we hope you’ll consider donating at one of 3 great bike collection events coming up this November:
- -Eagle Scout Tristan Osterhues’ Bike Drive in Palatine – November 15
- –Recycle Your Bicycle in Glencoe – November 15, 9am-12pm
- -Eagle Scout Pierce McLawhorn Bike Drive in Western Springs – November 22
If you don’t have a bike to give, we always appreciate helping hands at our shipping parties. You can join us at our last 3 shipping parties of 2014:
- -Saturday, November 15th with our partner organization, the Bike Project, in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois to the Village Bicycle Project in Ghana
- -Friday-Saturday, December 5-6 with our partner organization, the St. Louis Bicycle Works, in St. Louis, Missouri to the Village Bicycle Project in Ghana
- -Date TBD, at the Working Bikes warehouse, to CESTA in El Salvador
For more information on these collection events or shipping parties email email@example.com. To donate your bike anytime visit one of our 50+ drop off locations, listed here.